On this page you will find advice for HCPs issued during the Covid-19 pandemic.
The following advice draws together information from a number of sources as well as advice issued by the BAD, and will be updated regularly as the situation evolves. The links below are selected highlights of the information available: Please also see the navigation on the left for links to different sections.
Public Advice from BAD (links open at www.skinhealthinfo.org.uk):
Covid-19 (Coronavirus): Statement on dry skin and frequent handwashing to reduce Covid-19 risk
Covid-19 (Coronavirus): Immunosuppresive treatments in dermatology (see below for advice for HCPs)
Updates for Dermatology HCPs from BAD (please also see left-hand navigation for further options):
Covid-19 Initial Advice for Dermatology Departments, 19.03.2020
Dermatology Advice Regarding Self-Isolation and Immunosuppressed Patients: Adults, Paediatrics and Young People
(Please also see St. John’s Institute of Dermatology's FAQs about immunosuppressive treatments – scroll down to “Immunosuppressants and medication”.)
Covid-19: Clinical guidelines for the management of dermatology patients remotely
Covid-19: BAD Information for Trainees and Trainers (Dermatology) - this includes information on recruitment, the curriculum, JRCPTB guidance on COVID and trainee progress, and academic guidance
Covid-19: Clinical Guidance for the Management of Skin Cancer Patients during the Coronavirus Pandemic
Covid-19: Guidance For Managing Patients On Isotretinoin During the Coronavirus Pandemic
Covid-19: Guidance For Managing Urticaria Patients on Omalizumab During the Coronavirus Pandemic
BAD Annual Meeting advice
Updates for HCPs from NHS, government, and medical organisations:
1. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
2. Advice on working outside your normal practice, including medical indemnity, advice for private practice, retired members and pregnant workers.
3. NHSE - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for Clinicians, caring for people at highest clinical risk during Covid-19
NHS England has published FAQs for clinicians, answering many common questions about caring for those at highest risk during Covid-19, this is available here: https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavirus/wp-content/uploads/sites/52/2020/03/20200403-Clinician-FAQs-v_FINAL.pdf
4. Advice from devolved nations:
Health Protection Scotland guidance can been found here: https://www.hps.scot.nhs.uk/guidance/
All Covid-19 specific guidance can be found by searching for 'Covid-19'.
Wales-specific guidance is likely to published by Public Health Wales: https://phw.nhs.wales/
The Public Health Agency is likely to publish Northern Ireland-specific guidance: https://www.publichealth.hscni.net/
5. BMA answers questions on Covid-19
The BMA has answered questions about the impact of COVID-19 on HCP work, training, education, and wellbeing as a medical professional. https://www.bma.org.uk/advice-and-support/covid-19
6. Ethical guidance published for frontline staff dealing with pandemic
The Royal College of Physicians has published ethical guidance for frontline staff dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic, supported by more than a dozen other health organisations. https://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/news/ethical-guidance-published-frontline-staff-dealing-pandemic
7. Information on training, research and education including DHSC guidance on the impact of COVID-19 on research funded or supported by NIHR, HEE E-Learning for Health: Coronavirus programme, free to access COVID-19 content from Wiley and NIH and Information for Dermatology trainees and trainers.
8. Covid-19 statements from patient support groups
UK Mastocytosis Support Group: https://ukmasto.org/COVID-19/
UK and Ireland Vasculitis Society (UKIVAS): https://ukivas.ndorms.ox.ac.uk/