Applications for the next Medical Student Editor for the British Journal of Dermatology
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a medical student to join the British Journal of Dermatology (BJD) as a medical student editor.
We are looking for a medical student in their third or fourth year of medical school, with an interest in dermatology and familiarity with social media to join the team for a period of two years. The successful applicant will have the opportunity to contribute to the journal through writing and by helping to promote the journal’s social media presence, for example, by managing the BJD’s Twitter feed or Facebook page.
The BJD medical student editor will have the following opportunities:
· Training in critical appraisal and peer review
· Writing opportunities, for example, by contributing to the Cover Image / Image Gallery sections or sending in “rapid responses” to published research
· Linking with authors to help them produce PowerPoint presentations of their work, as part of the BJD Journal Club team
· Attendance at the BJD Editorial training day
· Attendance at the BAD Annual Meeting, with the chance to live-Tweet from the meeting
· Attendance at the Centre of Evidence Based Dermatology one-day Summer School
· Other potential opportunities include involvement with other projects related to medical publishing, depending on the individual appointed.
The BJD Medical Student Editor should act as an ambassador for the journal and help to promote awareness and participation amongst undergraduates interested in dermatology.
The appointment process requires a letter of application with a copy of the applicant’s CV, and a letter of support from the medical school, which comments on the candidate’s suitability for the role and confirms that they will be given time to attend courses. Additionally, the application must include a 500 word essay explaining why the candidate has applied and what they hope to gain from the experience.
Applications and informal enquiries should be sent by e-mail to:
John Caulfield, BJD Editorial Manager firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is Monday 8th January 2018.